Here is the dreamer. One who created and played with the pen and the keys of a world soon unmade. She remembers the wind, water, earth and flame. She loved even shadows but knew naught of hate. With a heart too soft and a strength unseen, she loved the world and she lived a dream.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Just a Little Change

83. Remember that scene from beauty and the beast wherein Belle inspired the beast to use a spoon while drinking soup instead of slobbering over the bowl? The way you look at it, something of a similar  nature happened to us when we had a date at Mang Inasal. Instead of tableware, however, it was about eating with one's fingers. I had done it once or twice before when I was younger but found the crudeness distasteful. I just didn't care for the sliminess it left on my fingers as well as the lingering smell, even after handwashing several times.  That is why I was so hesitant when you invited me to eat in such a way. The restaurant didn't give their  customers utensils unless they asked because it was commonplace to eat with only bare fingers. Sensing my unease, you laughed and showed me the proper way of eating it caveman style. You tore the chicken to pieces, dipped it in sauce and placed it in your mouth, gathered rice with one hand, squished it to make it more compact then ate it with gusto. Eyebrow raised I followed you, strangely liking how you were patient with me. You found it unbelievable that I didn't like eating in this manner and even encouraged me to practice. I told you the reasons why I didn't like it. But over the years those reasons somehow became irrelevant as I adapted the little change you asked of me. I grew to enjoy eating with my fingers so as long as there was a washing area and sufficient soap. Now, I will have to do my best to teach you how to eat using chopsticks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment