Here is the dreamer. One who created and played with the pen and the keys of a world soon unmade. She remembers the wind, water, earth and flame. She loved even shadows but knew naught of hate. With a heart too soft and a strength unseen, she loved the world and she lived a dream.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Few Words

174. I am in love with a man who has few words to say. He in turn loves me, a girl who also has more words than he could ever hear in lifetime. He may talk a lot to others, but those words that he uses just brush the surface of what he truly feels. Self control and propriety urged him to silence his tongue and to choose his words carefully, the same way he chose the people who surrounded him carefully. The same way he chose to love me from a room filled with strangers. With his magic tongue, with few words to say, he managed to enchant my heart.  I loved that about him. Charming and cunning. In the past, I used to be a girl with few words to say. I locked the real me away in the written word, and in the arts and it was only through my closest confidants that I gave my words freely. To reinvent myself, I forced this version of me to retreat, and let another take her place- a girl who had lots of words to say and who wore her smile as well as her heart on her sleeve and in her eyes. This girl faced the world like it was on the palm of her hand. You led her in a dance and taught her many things she did not know. She became stronger and less afraid because of you. She learned to love herself, even the one within her who had few words to say. There wasn't a more ironic pairing,  yet for an odd reason, it worked. You suddenly had so many words to say to me, and I to you. Bit by bit, these words became fewer and fewer. Storms came and went in time, and calm settled over us. Yet we did not care. It was enough for me and for you to know the words that filled each glance, each touch and each action. I love you. How can  these few words speak so much, I wonder? They resonate in my heart like a drum and fill my world with color and warmth. I used to think that speaking more words mattered when in truth it really didn't. What mattered was how those words made others feel. Did it make them happy? Or sad? Or ambivalent? Did it make them angry? Or uncaring? Did it make them laugh or cry? It's the heart behind those words that carry the impact. And it was your words that made an impact in my life. I am in love with a man who has few words to say. Words, though few, made such a difference in how I saw the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment