Here is the dreamer. One who created and played with the pen and the keys of a world soon unmade. She remembers the wind, water, earth and flame. She loved even shadows but knew naught of hate. With a heart too soft and a strength unseen, she loved the world and she lived a dream.

Monday, July 25, 2011

Family Portraits

161. I guess one of the family traditions we have during the holidays is our annual family pictorial. Aside from the food, and presents, it's one of the things I look forward too. It's amazing to see so many changes in my family across the years, immortalized by those yearly photographs. There used to be only me, I was the first and only granddaughter 22 years ago, and now there are six precious apos scattered across the country. Weight gains, weight losses, a flurry of hairstyles and awful style choices were evidences of a yearly struggle with identity, finding one's true self. And I think that is clearly seen especially with me and with one of my aunts. When I asked you if you did the same at your household, you flat out said no. Come the holidays yet you couldn't really say that it was a real celebration at your side of the family. Of course I understood how different our situations were, no one on your side is really intent in documenting family moments. I think I just naturally caught the capture-the-moment bug and applied it to our relationship. Have you every wondered how our annual anniversary pictorial started? I dragged you to the studio  in spite of your reluctance, teaching you how to smile because you didn't know you could. I just wanted the moment to be held in the palm of my hand, memories to last, even if were old and gray and our failing minds cannot anymore recall. I want to someday sit side by side with you and show you our pictures, saying, 'look hon, how great we looked together when we were in our twenties.' We'd show our children and our children's children these memories and prove to them once and for all how beautiful genes definitely run in our bloodline and say 'look kids, this was when it was just your father and I.'. Now isn't that a nice thought? I really want to keep the tradition and the love alive. Let's just do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment