Here is the dreamer. One who created and played with the pen and the keys of a world soon unmade. She remembers the wind, water, earth and flame. She loved even shadows but knew naught of hate. With a heart too soft and a strength unseen, she loved the world and she lived a dream.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

For the Love of Disney

160. We all grew up with Disney movies. I haven't met a person who hasn't seen at least one Disney film. I haven't met one kid who hasn't idolized at least one Disney character, be it from movies or television, in his/ her lifetime. Aside from being a cut-throat strategic money-making industry, this company from the start has always delivered in  terms of making children's dreams come alive. And even if these children have long left the fantastical world of make-believe and donned the mantles of adulthood and responsibility, their works are always remembered with warmth and then passed on to the next generation. Among my favorite films were Beauty and the Beast and Hercules. And I'd like to think that those two were among your top favorites as well. I remember you mentioning one time how you admired the complexity of Beast's character and how similar I was to Belle. And for the other, how I'd playfully tease you as my own Hercules and I would be his Megara. You had a favorite song entitled 'going the distance' from the film, it was truly inspiring and mirrored how we both wanted to reach our goals in life. I always wondered why their films were always just right. Recently they released Enchanted, Rapunzel and Princess the and Frog and all three were still so unbelievable. I imagine how much time and effort it takes to finish just one film and it astounds me. These were full-grown adults working like the seven dwarves in some part of the world, trying to make fresh but morally relevant stories for children. It's amazing. There is some magic left, no matter what the age, no matter how critical or skeptical we become. It's not all about the money. There is still a little child inside of us that will love the charming dreams spawned by them. I think we'll both love their films until the end of our days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment