Here is the dreamer. One who created and played with the pen and the keys of a world soon unmade. She remembers the wind, water, earth and flame. She loved even shadows but knew naught of hate. With a heart too soft and a strength unseen, she loved the world and she lived a dream.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Canine Trouble

69. One night, at around 6pm, you brought me safely home. You stayed awhile, watching television with me. You couldn't stay long because you still had duty early the next morning and you said goodbye to my parents and me. I went with you to our garage gate, and we kissed goodbye, as was our habit. Suddenly I saw at the corner of my eye a movement. It was our family's old dog, a big German Shepherd who unfortunately hated you with all of his being. What was he doing out of his cage? He wasn't supposed to be out until 9pm. to guard the house. He came to me, tail wagging and sniffing around and you instantly tensed beside me in alarm. My dog growled menacingly at you, separating me from your side. All the while I was trying to pacify the dog's obvious jealousy and grabbing at his collar and his fur to keep him away from you to no avail. When he bared his teeth at you, barking continuously, I felt my heart race due to the danger. Then suddenly it was if the events happened slow motion. The dog attacked you, his sharp canines aiming for your neck. Your quick reaction time allowed you to evade him and the dog's teeth grazed your arm. No! Down! Bad dog! I shouted in horror. I tried my best to tighten my grip on the dog but a large hundred pound dog out for blood isn't exactly controllable. My heart sank and I positively paled as I watched you scramble and run up the outdoor stairs, with the savage dog at your heels. I saw him attack and bit you and I heard your pained yelp. You jumped on the garage roof where the dog couldn't reach you and landed with a loud bang. I yelled at you to stay put while I go get help. I ran to my parents and told them what had happened. My father, after reprimanding the dog, put it back securely in the cage and we drove you to the nearest hospital, which was ironically the same hospital you were having your duty in. We were thankful that the bite itself on your buttocks wasn't too deep, and you weren't bleeding so bad. After giving you your shots for tetanus and shots for rabies around the bite site which were excruciatingly painful, you were given leave to go home with going home orders for further shots in a timely schedule. After many apologies, my parents and I drove you home. I felt horrid, and the sense of almost losing you to that crazy overprotective dog, has etched itself on my memory so deep that I couldn't help but hate the dog afterward. You had a hard time resting with that throbbing pain in your backside but still you went to your duty the next day. That night I thanked God that you were still alive after that terrible incident. Next time, I made sure that the dog was locked in his cage before passing that same way especially if you were with me. Though presently that dog has moved on in the next life, I can't say that I remember him fondly since he almost literally killed the love of my life. But anyway, he has given me this memory to write about and I've learned a hard lesson: be a responsible dog-owner, never lose control over your dog no matter how large or wild he is.

No comments:

Post a Comment